Thursday, November 12, 2009

I got me some SOUL

So tonight was one of the many end-of-the-semester recitals for the music department at EAC and I was singing in it. I decided that I would sing one of my English pieces because I've only ever sang boring Italian at these recitals. Well I totally switched things up with this English piece. You see... It's a kind of a gospel song. It's called "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" and it's very simple, but if done right, it can be very powerful. It's a slave talking about how she feels so alone and so far from everything. Lately when I've been practicing it for the recital, I've tried to put more feeling into it... like imagine myself as a little black girl in the pre-civil war times, but tonight when I sang it, I just poured my SOUL into it. It was the most amazing feeling ever. I don't know that I've ever put so much heart and thought into a solo piece. Like sure I've had this kind of experience when singing with a choir because of all the memories attached to the song, but never on a solo. It has made me want to do this with every song I sing. To really understand the text and everything about the song.

Tonight I was not just Jaron Lines. Tonight I was the performer Jaron Lines.

It was a good reminder of why I love music and performing. Performing lends itself to so much opportunity. Anything is possible when you are performing!

2 comments:

  1. very cool jaron. p.s. you did awesome at the recital. it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything is possible when expressing your ART. Very cool jear

    ReplyDelete